Search This Blog

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Hit and Run and Other Tidbits for Safety

There have been, in California lately, lots of hit and run cases in the news.  I'm writing about this because on the way home from the beach, riding my bicycle, I saw an elderly couple crossing the street without looking, several feet from the corner, somewhere where the driver of a car might be unlikely to see them in time if turning onto that street.

Did this couple have the right of way?  Yes.  Do pedestrians in California have the right of way?  Yes.  Probably most other states, too.  Perhaps that's why so many are getting hit.  They think cars will see them and stop for them.  What they may fail to consider is the driver may be DUI, texting, talking on a cell phone, or some other distraction.  So although you have the right of way, you may end up being dead right.

What should you do?  I was taught to ALWAYS look both ways before crossing.  If you want to cross and a car is coming, look at the driver, make sure he or she sees you, make sure he or she is slowing down and stopping, and make sure no other cars are coming.  And make sure to do this even at a traffic light where the light just turned green for you.  Years ago, my brother almost got hit by a driver who went through a red light, and would have if I hadn't grabbed him.

Waiting for a car may cost you 10-15 seconds, but not waiting may cost you 10-15 years of your life.  I'd say waiting is a good trade off.

From time to time I will post safety and health tips, in addition to photography info, and other subjects, as I think of them or see something that reminds me about them.

As always, I hope someone finds this helpful.




No comments:

Post a Comment