Search This Blog

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Snapshots vs Professional Photography

These days, almost everyone has a digital camera, whether as part of a cell phone, a point and shoot, what is called a prosumer camera (although some of these are quite capable of professional results), or what is considered a professional DSLR.  Does that mean everyone can get professional results?  No, no more than if everyone had paint, brushes, and canvass, they would not suddenly be making paintings like a Rembrandt or Picasso.  Can people with these cameras take nice snapshots and capture images of things that are happening in their lives?  Of course, although even these are sometimes poor quality.  Check professional photographers on Facebook, and then look at the photos of every day people.

I've seen many out of focus images, ones that looked hazy (even though there was no haze when the photo was taken), images that were underexposed or overexposed, etc.  Of course, there are many nice photos, too.  But the best, most artistic, most beautiful images will generally be shot by those who have studied and practiced photography for many years.

Day to day snapshots are still important - I am so glad I have them of my family.  Below are some of the reasons why:


My father in our backyard - shot with a small metal box camera.


My father and me, shot a Jones Beach, NY.


 My mother, me, and my older brother on the front steps, in Jamaica, NY.
My mother in our backyard.

Me when I was around 3 y.o. or so.



My brother and me at Jones Beach, NY.

These photos, and many more, are in our family album.  But the large ones displayed in frames and on the wall are the ones that were taken professionally, as below.

My younger brother Scott.


Me, around age 4 (I still remember that suit - it was wool and itched way too much, LOL).


                                                                      My father.


My younger brother, Harold.


My mother - this photo has faded a bit over time.

If you want the best images possible, use a professional photographer (more on how to choose one and what a professional photographer is, in my opinion, in a later post), and also use a professional make-up artist to highlight your best features.

No comments:

Post a Comment