Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Halloween Carnaval 2013 - West Hollywood - Part IV (the Final Installment for this year)

I go to this Halloween celebration to enjoy the fun of Halloween - I'm too old to Trick or Treat anymore - that was fun when I was much younger.  Back then I didn't know how bad all those shopping bags of candy were.  Now I do, so it's good I don't do that anymore, and that I found this replacement for it.  Of course, as a photographer I go to record as many of the beautiful people and costumes as I can find.  Most of the people are there to have a great time and be photographed, so getting great expressions - when you can see the expressions - is a photographers dream come true.  As the night goes on, and it becomes extremely crowded, it gets difficult to capture images as too many people crowd around and you can't get a clear view of what you would like.  Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you miss the shot you would have liked to get.  So if you find these posts, and were in West Hollywood on Halloween, your photo may not be here.

Thanks to all the photo opportunities, and changing light conditions, it was a great way to test a new camera body, as well as experiment with the settings.  At one point, I thought the camera was starting to malfunction.  The photos that made me think this are below.  What happened was that the crowd I had gone through was so thick with people, that the mode dial on the camera got rubbed against and changed from the setting I was using to Av (aperture priority).  In this mode, the flash fired, but the exposure time was for the available light, so was around a second long.  If I hadn't been shooting in RAW (as mentioned in earlier posts), I could not have salvaged those two photos.

I hope some of my comments have been interesting and/or helpful, and the photos enjoyable.  Here are the rest of them from Halloween 2013:


The two photos above were shot when the crowd caused my mode dial, on the camera, to change.  In some ways, the photos look more like a party is going on, which it was.





This was very close to the last photo of the night.  She had tapped my back with her whip because I wasn't wearing a costume.  I forgot to tell her I was dressed as a photographer, although not sure that would have worked.  Anyway, I told her that because she whipped me, she had to let me take her photo.  Here's the result.  Verrry nice.




This one was a request - I hope they are able to find it.  I forgot to give them the link to this blog.














  With few exceptions, I shot just one photo of each different person or group, and then moved on to find the next one.  Why I shoot this way will be the subject of another blog post.

Have a wonderful day, and hope you enjoyed the last of my Halloween photos for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment