Search This Blog

Friday, November 30, 2012

What is a PROFESSIONAL Digital Camera and Lens

I've read many different articles about this subject, as well as having made my own observations, and my thoughts may be different than yours.  I think right now DSLR cameras are considered prosumer (also known as entry level), semi-professional, and professional.  The same can be said for the lenses you use.  For me to decide what is professional, I would base it on the results I get.  What I plan on doing with the image would determine how many megapixels I would need.  The larger the size, the more pixels.  

Years ago, I made a 24x30 print from a Canon 10D 6 megapixel image, and it was sharp, even when looking at it from about 9 inches away.  The following photos were shot with a Canon 10D, 40D, and 7D, with Canon 17-55mm lens, 50mm lens, and 18-135mm kit lens.  Various f-stops and focal lengths were used (on the zoom lenses).  If you look at ratings on the cameras and lenses, I think the 7D would be semiprofessional, and the other two rated lower.  But, can you tell which photos were shot with which combination?  If you were my client, would you really care which camera/lens combination I used, or would you care about the final result?



The bottom 6 photos are of the photographer doing self portraits.  Click on the images to see them in a larger size - they are still smaller than the originals for the purpose of posting here.

For me, it is not the camera or lens that is PROFESSIONAL, it is the photographer.  The best camera in the world isn't going to take a great photo without a great photographer.  And conversely, a great photographer will take great pictures with almost any camera.

Now, the better DSLR cameras may last longer, be more weather proof, and have a higher pixel count, perhaps more options, etc., but only with the right photographer will it take great photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment