Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The Venice Beach Photography Series Continued

If you've ever thought about taking candid street photographs, Venice Beach is the place.  You never know what you may see there.  This photograph said it perfectly (Venice Beach - Have a Strange Day):


There are three ways (or situations) I shoot photos of people at Venice Beach:  by asking them, not asking them and they are not aware of being photographed, and they are not aware I'm going to take their photo, but then they catch me doing it.  The problem with asking is once they know they are going to be photographed, assuming they agree, they are no longer candid.  Of course, on the other hand, if we relate well with each other, I may get some really great expressions.  So sometimes I'll do a combination - shoot a candid or two, then ask and if they agree, shoot some more.  I always offer to send them copies of the photos for free when I ask and they agree.  If I post a photo, say to FB, and the person in the photo doesn't want it there, I will delete it.  The following shots were all of people who I didn't ask, but who caught me shooting them - you can tell by their expressions.



One of my favorites of the surprise photos. 



Another favorite because she looks like she's having a great time. 

Saw this young lady just as she is here.  Back in the days of phone booths.   We got into a short conversation - short because she was on a long distance call back in the days when people had to pay extra for those.


Never found out who xxxTina was, but thought it was a cute photo.

A much more recent photo series from three years ago was shot at the paddle tennis courts.  Maria Sharipova was eliminated at Indian Wells and came down to Venice Beach to play some paddle tennis in 2014.  Shot very close to the fence for these.





Hope you enjoy these posts.  I think it might be more interesting to mix up my posts on different subjects related to photography (and some on health, too).  But if I can't think of anything else, I will have lot of photos to post of Venice Beach for the past 37 years or so, plus a few of Hermosa Beach, Santa Monica, and other beach areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment