Search This Blog

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Photography, Customer Service, and the Holiday Season

I just saw my first Christmas related ad on TV a couple of days ago.  It seems to happen earlier every year.  It's never too early to plan ahead and try to come up with the perfect gift for those special people in your life.  And because this is primarily a blog about photography, well, here's one idea:  a beauty and/or glamour portrait for him (her?).  Something to think about between now and then.

 A little story about the relationship of customer service and a great product, and how it might relate to people in general.  I used to own a vitamin store in the '90s, and was a dealer for Vita-Mix.  One of the reasons I was a dealer was because Vita-mix had an excellent reputation, it did what it was advertised to do, did it extremely well, and came with a 7 year warranty.  Recently, I needed a new blade for one of the Vita-Mix containers.  I was told I needed a special blade because I had an old container, but also I could not buy a blade without a container.  After much researching I found out two things - the standard and current blade would fit my container, and I could buy them separately from a Vita-Mix dealer, but not from Vita-Mix.  I wrote them an email asking why they only sold the blade and container together, and mentioned it would add waste to the environment as the old container would be of no use.  They never answered.  This is an example of very poor customer service.

I have been searching for a replacement for my Vita-Mix because of the above example.  Unfortunately, no one I can find makes a product that works as well.  The Ninja Ultima Blender comes closest, and at half the price, looks good.  But it comes with only a 2 year warranty and can't handle hot liquids, nor grind grains into flour, and I'm guessing it won't blend seeds in my smoothie.

The moral of this story is I wouldn't even be looking for another product if I had gotten the customer service I should have.

What would you do if, for the above beauty/glamour photography gift, you found someone who produced stunning photographs, better than any you had seen with any other photographer, but who didn't guarantee their work, didn't call you back, perhaps was rude, etc.  If it was me, I would keep looking.  With photography, it's important to feel like you just ran into an old friend, or that you just found a new one.  And if you do, then you will get the photos you want.






No comments:

Post a Comment