Search This Blog

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Health Care (Obamacare?)

I wasn't going to write about this, but then read the following article by Dr. Mercola, which ties in to what I think at least one thing that health care reform should have been about, and that's education.  Every year in school, there should be at least one class required about health and diet, nutrition, the dangers and side effects of drugs - what you need to do to stay healthy and prevent disease.  Dr. Mercola's article is just one thing, but a very important one.  Here is the link:  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/06/30/excessive-fructose-causes-obesity-and-cancer.aspx?e_cid=20120630_DNL_artNew_1

Here's a little true story  - Years ago, I had constant bloating, cramping, and on and off nausea, and was diagnosed with "nervous stomach," after having very uncomfortable tests to measure stomach acid, and have a scope lowered into my stomach at Kaiser.  I asked the doctor what I could do, and he asked if I smoked, drank, or took drugs - the answer was no to all of those.  So he said to stay out of stressful situations.  I knew there had to be a better answer.  I also knew a guy from the beach in Santa Barbara (this photo is the beach, but obviously not the guy, LOL - I don't have his picture, but he looked like the cover of a Greek Mythology book) who was the healthiest looking person I had ever seen.

                                                   Beach in Santa Barbara - actually Goleta

I asked him what he did to stay healthy, and he told me to get a book called "Health Secrets of the Hunza" and follow that diet.  I did.  It was all whole foods, nothing processed, no sugars, no GMO, etc. Over the next 6 months, my problem slowly faded away, and has not come back.  In addition, several other health problems went away.

That's one part of health reform.  Another part should have been about lowering hospital costs, unneeded tests, unneeded surgery, etc.  An example - my brother stepped on a nail, went to the emergency room, and was charged a total of $1,400 !!!  That's not a typo, but it's part of the problem.  When the president originally talked about health reform, this is what I thought he would be doing, not insurance.

Along with a healthy diet, I take supplements to fill in anything I might be missing in that diet.  Other problems that have gone away:  headaches, some very bad allergies, the flu, colds, dandruff, and I'm probably leaving some out.

That's my rant for the day - my hope is that at least some who read this will change their diet, if needed, take some supplements, and go to health.  And if you do make changes, remember that the results can take anywhere from several days or weeks to several months; perhaps even a few years, depending on how bad you did things before.  One last thing - don't think that if a little is good, a lot is better.  Taking too much of something can be bad, even drinking too much water can kill you.

Well, if I don't add anything else before the 4th of July, hope you all have a safe and happy one.  And a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment