Search This Blog

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Beware of MUFG Union Bank (Union Bank of California)

I try to post positive things, but occasionally a business does something so wrong, that it cries out to be reported, although there is a positive ending....well, a few.

If you Google "Union Bank," this is what comes up first:  "Union Bank personal banking services are exclusively designed to meet your financial needs, because you deserve more."

The reality is a bit different.  Here is my story regarding Union Bank.  I had my personal account with them for around 22 years, and also my business account (when I owned a vitamin store in Santa Monica) for several years.  During that time, never had a bad check, and my account was never overdrawn.  In other words, never a problem.

Recently, a friend of mine had been arrested and was in a federal detention center.  Her sister was in Australia at the time, and so the sister was not able to wire money to her in prison, so she asked if I would be willing to act as the go between - her sister would wire me the money, and I would wire it to my friend.  Of course, for her to wire me money, I needed to give her my account info.  I did, and everything went smoothly.  I received the money and transferred it to my friend, less the fees.

My friend, being in prison, didn't have access to her bank to get money when she would need it, for various things (retainer fees for an attorney, things she needed while at the detention center, etc.).  So she asked if she could send me money to hold for her, and distribute to others as she requested.  I said OK, and she sent me two checks to deposit into my account.  I went to Union Bank and deposited the two checks, was told they would be put on hold, as expected, and I thought that would be the end of it.  It wasn't!

A few days after depositing the funds, there was a Fed Ex envelope at my door.  Inside was a notice that Union Bank froze my account.  No prior mention that this might happen, no warning, no phone call, and no access to my own funds or her checks.  I had, at that time, three payments I had already sent, including one to my credit card for around 79 cents - which the bank didn't pay.  I was told to call the fraud investigation center of Union Bank, but was too late that day.  When I called, they said they suspected fraud.  I told them there was no fraud, explained that the checks had been sent to me by my friend's court appointed federal defender, that my friend was a public figure, in jail, etc., and who in their right mind would commit fraud while in jail?  When I told them I had given my account info to my friend's sister, and she had deposited money into my account, they were sure there was fraud.  If they think like this, how can anyone write a check, as all that info is printed right on the check?  If someone commits fraud by depositing money into my account, I'll take that fraud all the time!  I guess that tells you a little about this bank's logic (or lack of it).  Anyway, two weeks later, they realized there was no fraud and finally unfroze my account.  During that time, my friend asked if I could use some of the money to pay the balance of an order she had pending in China.  When I went to wire the money, they closed my account at Union Bank.  When I went to see the manager at the branch where my account was located, I was told my account had too many problems.  Union Bank made the problems when there weren't any....and never apologized!

They say "you deserve more," but after 22 years they closed my account.  I guess they are right - I did deserve more.  Now I'm at another bank getting more!  The other bank offers veterans free checks and a free safe deposit box.  The other good thing - my friend is now free and enjoying life again and the money she sent me has been returned to her and her attorney.

No comments:

Post a Comment