Search This Blog

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Photography and Health - Part II

This is a photography blog, but because health is related to all aspects of life and work, hobbies, enjoyment, and everything you do, occasionally I will post something of interest about health.  I think it may have beec even more important during the Holidays.

Growing up, I got sick (colds, flu, bronchitis, stomach viruses, mumps, chicken pox, measles, and more) - I thought that was normal, as most others got sick, too.  Then at age 25 or so, I got an ulcer (maybe I should say an ulcer got me).  I was told to discontinue soft drinks, packaged meats, and bacon.  The ulcer went away after changing that part of my diet.  Five years later, I started getting constant stomach cramps, nausea, and bloating.  I thought the ulcer was back.  I had Kaiser at the time, so went in and had all kinds of unpleasant (an understatement) tests done.  Diagnosis was "nervous stomach."  I asked the doctor what I could do.  He asked if I smoked, drank alcohol, or took drugs - my answer was no, so he said to stay out of stressful situations.  That answer was no help.  Keep in mind, I was also still getting sick regularly, too.  Plus other health problems - which I still thought were normal.

My next step on the road to health:  I knew a guy from the beach in Santa Barbara who looked like Mr. Health (and like he would be on the cover of a Greek Mythology book).  I asked him what he did to stay so healthy.  He told me to buy a book called Hunza Health Secrets for Long Life and Happiness by Renee Taylor, and follow the diet in the book.  I did - which meant eating only whole foods, eliminating all junk food and sugar.  Over a period of 6 months my nervous stomach (aka IBS) faded and then was gone.  At the same time, I started getting sick only once a year.  Also some other problems went away.  Once when I was about 19, I went 6 months without getting sick, and I thought that was a miracle.  But now it was once a year, and not as long lasting or as severe.

The photography connection:  In a photography class I took at college, the professor said two things I have always remembered - 1.  whatever you do, take it one step farther; 2.  Eliminate the variables.  So I started wondering what was the next step with my health.  And I started studying nutrition and supplements.  I started working in health food stores, opened my own store with a couple of partners, talked with over 30 thousand people during those years, and got feedback from many of them on things that worked for them.  At the same time, I got my masters degree in holistic nutrition, and took all the courses for the doctors degree (didn't write the final thesis as I had accomplished what I wanted).  And started taking supplements.  Next was eliminating as many variables as possible - looking at all the food I buy and checking the labels to make sure there are no preservatives, sugars, chemicals, GMO's etc.  Got a filter to remove fluoride from the water.

Thanks to the internet, I could now find answers to questions much faster.  And also get newsletters with excellent information about diet, nutrition, toxins to avoid, etc.

The results of all of the above:  I haven't been sick for over 6 years (except some stomach malady about 4 years ago - food poisoning?  Something else?  Never found out), and most of my other health problems are gone.  No headaches, no allergies, no colds and flu, etc.  Unfortunately, it won't get rid of hereditary problems (a slight tremor), but even that has not gotten worse in the last 20 years.

As far as supplements - I take several of these for specific problems plus a good multivitamin.  Things for the immune system, joints, heart, brain, digestion, etc.  Over the years I have found what works for me; however, each person is a little different, so what you need will probably be different than what I take.

The ones I take and feel are most important:  A good multivitamin (NOT the cheap drugstore brands), vitamin C, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Astaxanthin, Vitamin K2 MK7, Calcium and Magnesium, Co-enzyme Q10.

At least for the past 10 years I've had a smoothie for breakfast almost every day.  It has a super all organic green mix in it that I put together (9 superfoods).  And is mostly organic.

No comments:

Post a Comment