Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Cynthia Gable, Jockey Club, Palm Springs

Around 1980 or so, I was the photographer for the Jockey Club in Marina Del Rey.  In July 1980 or 1981, they had their annual get together in Palm Springs and hired me to photograph that event.   Don't know why they picked July in Palm Springs - every day was 112 degrees!  But anyway, there were lots of wonderful people to photograph, including a TV star from The Young and Restless and a guest star from Three's Company.  I no longer remember their names, but do remember Cynthia Gable, who I had been told was Clark Gable's niece, and which brings me to the reason for this blog post (well, besides posting some photos of some of the people I met there).  I shot lots of photos of Cynthia - she was happy to pose for me and we had some fun with the photography.

After returning to LA from Palm Springs, I got together with her, and she gave me some transparencies from another photographer to have made into prints.  I had the prints made, but she moved and I have never been able to locate her since then.  So much has happened since then with the advent of the internet.  I found the first person I ever knew outside of my family thanks to the internet, as well as some other old friends who I hadn't seen for years and who had modeled for me.  I had hoped to find Cynthia, but no luck with that.  I  still have the prints she had asked me to make for her.  It would be great to get them to her and I'm sure she would like them.   Plus she would probably be happy to have the shots I took of her while at Palm Springs - nice memories.

They say that everyone is connected to everyone else, I believe, in six degrees of separation, meaning that if I ask someone to ask someone they know, and this is done six times, the sixth person will know the person I'm looking for, at least at some point.  So if anyone knows or can connect with her and give her my information, that would be amazing and astounding!  Below are some of the photos from that July trip to Palm Springs.

 Cynthia Gable - Nice and cool inside, relaxing after a long hot day!

 Cynthia being interviewed by the Young and Restless star.


 Out by the pool at 112 degrees.

 One of two ways to stay cool.  Either this or in the pool.







This last shot is one of the ones that she had given me (shot by another photographer) to have prints made for her.  I still have them.

 The Young and Restless star.



 No one knew who she was - turned out she wasn't part of the event.




 Of course, I had to have one photo with me in it.


 The guy in the middle was an extras casting director who got me extra work in Messenger of Death with Charles Bronson.  I had done some headshots for him.  The girl on the right ended up doing some modeling for me.


 The guy on the far right was the one in an episode of Three's Company and may have been in the Young and Restless.  Had a nice conversation with him later on.  



Hard to believe these were taken 36 years ago.  To say it's a long shot this will connect me with Cynthia Gable is probably an understatement, but who knows.




No comments:

Post a Comment