Search This Blog

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Photography - What is the Fairest Way to Charge

The vast majority of photographers will charge a fee to photograph you.  It may be called a creation fee, a session fee, a sitting fee, etc.  Some will offer you a guarantee of some kind.  Maybe a free re-shoot if you are not happy with the results, maybe even a partial or full refund.

A short time ago, I read about a photographer who doesn't charge this initial fee, and I thought, wow, what a great idea.  If I start a photography business again, this is what I would do.  No charge for a consultation, no charge to actually shoot the photos.  If you are not happy, no worries about getting your money back.  Of course, if you do love the results, the final image is not cheap.  But you have nothing to lose, no risk, no obligation of any kind.  If the results are not exactly what you had wanted, and you don't order anything, you don't pay a penny.  And no hard feelings.  I had originally thought I would charge for the session ahead of time and offer a 100% money back guarantee or free re-shoot, or both, but like this idea better.  I think potential clients would, also.

One photographer sells these portraits for $10,000 or more.  If I did this, what would you get for that price?   Perhaps a 3 foot by 5 foot full length portrait, in a museum quality frame, with oil painting overlay - sort of a combination of photography and oil painting portrait.  And the single digital file that was used to produce it, retouched the same way as the finished product.  In short, a masterpiece that you loved and totally approved.

The photographer I would base my business on is this one (link).   Not exactly the same, but similar.  Different backdrop, different poses, but same quality.

Below are photos of one of my backdrops, plus a selfie in front of it.


Photos shot with Nikon D600 with 24-85mm lens at f5.6, 1/60, ISO 250 on 9/20/2016

If I start my photography business, don't worry, I won't charge $10,000 for a while, but I will use the oil coloring and beautiful frames, so it will cost a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment