Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

What to look for in a Photographer

What should you look for in a photographer?  Because I photograph people, this post answers the question as related to portraits, headshots, and the like.  Before I get into my thoughts on this, I want to very briefly talk about one very important subject unrelated to photography.  And that is GMO food labeling and foods. If you want to know if you are eating GMO food, vote YES on Prop 37 in California.  GMO foods have been linked to a number of health issues and problems, from tumors to infertility.  Give yourself the option of whether you want to buy or eat these foods by mandatory labeling of them as GMO, then you will be able to avoid them should you choose to.  Now on to photography.

So, what should you look for in a photographer, or do when searching for one?
1.  Someone you can get along with and relate to, and who will treat you like a million bucks!  My feeling is that if someone hires me to photograph them, they are hiring me to photograph them as they wish to be photographed.  They will always have the final say in all photographic decisions.  I will do everything possible to fulfill they desires.  I will offer suggestions when needed in order to get the best image of them that is possible.

2.  If, after doing the above, I have been unable to meet or exceed their expectations, I will offer a re-shoot, if they are okay with that, or give them a complete refund of any money paid to me for the photography.  This includes any time I have spent on post-processing or any other work I've done relating to the current session.

3.  Check out their previous work, either through an online site or in person.

4.  Always try to meet in person to schedule your appointment, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.  The more you know and the better you know the photographer, the better pictures you will get.

5.  Is the photographer willing to reschedule for you if you are not feeling well the day of the shoot?  This is important because you want to feel your absolute best during the session.  I would actually insist on rescheduling if you are feeling less than your best.

6.  Although price may be important, it should be low on the list of what to look for.  If you were to pay $75 with no guarantee, and got terrible photos (bad lighting, bad pose, not sharp, etc), you just threw away $75. But if you paid $500 and got a photo that you that captured not only your looks (and they looked beautiful), but also your personality, that would be a priceless heirloom.  And if you weren't happy even if it did all these things, you received a complete refund - well, you can't compare the two.

7.  Photographer must be professional - by this I mean on time, open about everything you ask, know what he or she is doing, shows the client total respect - you'll know by how they act.  Should give you exactly what you want, and offer suggestions based on this.  Make sure you tell your photographer anything you would not be comfortable with.  If he disagrees, say good bye.

8.  I feel like a photographer should make your session fun and enjoyable, and I think you should find a photographer who does this.






No comments:

Post a Comment